Gilliam County was established in 1885 from a portion of Wasco County and was named after Colonel Cornelius Gilliam, a veteran of the Cayuse Indian War. The first county seat was at Alkali, now Arlington. In 1890, voters chose to move the county seat to Condon, known then as “Summit Springs.” A brick courthouse was built in Condon in 1903 but was destroyed by fire in 1954. The present courthouse was built on the same site in 1955. Gilliam County is in the heart of the Columbia Plateau wheat area. The economy is based mainly on agriculture, with an average farm size of about 4,200 acres. Wheat, barley and beef cattle are the principal crops. The largest individual employers in the county, Chemical Waste Management of the Northwest and Oregon Waste Systems, subsidiaries of Waste Management Inc., are regional waste disposal landfills. With elevations of over 3,000 feet near Condon, in the south of the county, and 285 feet at Arlington, 38 miles north, the county offers a variety of climates. Hunting, fishing and tourism are secondary industries. Two major rivers, the John Day and Columbia, and Interstate 84 traverse the area east to west. Highway 19 connects the county’s major cities north to south and serves as the gateway to the John Day Valley. Oregon Blue Book: http://bluebook.state.or.us/local/counties/counties11.htm
PO Box 427
Condon OR 97823
Hours: 8:30-12:00/1:00-5:00 M-F
Fax #: 541-384-2166
Edit county information for Gilliam County
designed and hosted by:
Helion Software, Inc.